Registration is ongoing for The Business of Music online masterclass, which will take place from 30 October to 6 November.
The workshop targets part-time or full-time artists and music professionals who want to advance their careers.
Who can register?
- Singers, songwriters and producers.
- Film and production companies.
- TV licensing companies.
- Booking agents.
- Video directors.
The seminar will be facilitated by Obi Asika and Chidi Okeke, and forms part of Asika’s Afrobeats101 initiative, through which he plans to teach practical skills about the music and entertainment industry to 150,000 Africans across Africa and the UK.
Asika is recognised as an expert in the creative and cultural industries in Nigeria and Africa, as well as in the diaspora. He is behind the Storm 360 label and communications agency Dragon Africa and is the co-convener of the Africa Soft Power Project. He is also the founder of the Social Media Week Lagos and the Iba Ajie Innovation and Creative Hub.
Okeke is a music distribution expert and the founder of music streaming platform uduX, which has over the years partnered with the likes of Universal Music, Sony Music, and MTN. He is also credited with pioneering content monetisation for artists through ringback tones.
The workshop will explore the following topics:
- How to set up a label.
- How to set up digital distribution.
- How to set up copyrights management (publishing, public performance, neighbouring rights, mechanicals etc.).
- How to become a music producer.
- How to set up song share splits.
- How to set up an artist management business.
- How to set up a social media strategy.
- How to make money from music.
- Understanding the career opportunities in the music industry.
- Any smart device (laptop, tablet, phone, etc.).
- Internet connection.
Interested participants can register here.